Lets talk Elements…
If you have a CBS mutation, keeping an eye on your hormones is important as well as maintaining minerals like Copper, Molybdenum, Zinc and Manganese.
A possible consequence of CBS upregulation is and increase in Copper (read about copper overload here.)
Other serious health conditions due to a CBS irregularity is:
- Blood – iron deficiency anemia
- Liver impairment – Wilson’s disease
- Immune system – prolonged viral and fungal infections, delayed wound healing
- Thyroid gland – thyroid insufficiency and hypothyroidism
- Nervous system – depression, anxiety, and aggression
- Neurological disorders – some emotional disorders, impaired mental function
- Reproductive hormonal imbalances – PMS
- Adrenal gland – adrenal fatigue, insufficiency, and weakness
- Gastrointestinal disorders – constipation and gastritis
- Musculoskeletal system – scoliosis, osteoarthritis, or poor collagen and elastin production
- Cholesterol – hypercholesterolemia, or high cholesterol levels in the blood
- Gallbladder – gallstone formations
Low zinc level can lead to issues with loss of appetite, taste and smell, frequent infections, elasticity of skin, low fertility, or pale, acne prone skin.
- Possible low homocysteine levels.
- Sleep problems.
- Oxidative stress.
- Stomach issues.
- Dizziness and low blood pressure due to increased hydrogen sulfide.
- Possible high blood pressure from changes in lower homocysteine levels.
- BH4 deficiency can cause depression, anxiety, mood problems, or panic attacks.
Molybdenum deficiencies could cause breathing difficulties or neurological disorders.
- A deficiency of Vitamin B1 can lead to a multitude of disorders including tender muscles, rapid heartbeat, poor memory, irritability, and constipation.
- Low levels of Vitamin B2 can cause split nails, skin problems such as cracked lips, dull or oily hair, and eczema, as well as problems with eyes including burning sensations, cataracts, and sensitivity to bright lights.
- Vitamin B6 deficiencies are often responsible for water retention, tingling hands, depression, infrequent dream recall, nervousness, irritability, lack of energy, flaky skin, muscle tremors, and cramps.
So, CBS is just as important as the Folate Cycle. Functions in both the Folate cycle and CBS happens at the same time, yet they can function independently.